How to Jump-Start Your Vehicle
Service Tips & Tricks
Here we give you a quick lesson on how to jump-start your vehicle in an easy step-by-step guide. Learn how to connect jumper cables, and boost the battery so you can get safely back on those London roads.
Steps to Jump Start Your Car
These steps will describe how to connect jumper cables to properly jump start a car:
- Ask for help. You will need another vehicle to help you out.
- Grab the jumper cables included in your emergency roadside kit.
- Both your, and the assisting vehicle in park/neutral and turn off the ignition.
- Attach one red clip to the positive(it would have “POS” or “+” on it) terminal of your battery.
- Take the second red clip, and attach it to the positive terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Attach one black clip to the negative terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Finally, attach the second black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car away from your battery.
- Now, have the other driver start their vehicle and let the engine run.
- After a few minutes try to start your own vehicle.
If you’re not able to find help, consider calling Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance.
Tips on How to Boost a Car Battery
As you figure out how to jump start your vehicle, think of the following:
- If your vehicle starts, don’t turn off the engine. Leave it running and drive around for a few minutes to recharge the battery.
- If your vehicle doesn’t start the next time you drive it, then your battery likely isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.
- If your vehicle won’t start from the jump, turn both engines off and make sure the cables are connected properly. If it doesn’t start when you try again, you may need a tow to Mercedes-Benz London, or a nearby dealership.
Schedule Service with Mercedes-Benz London
Knowing how to connect jumper cables to boost a car battery is something that can come in handy for all drivers. If your battery continues to lose its charge, or if your check engine light has turned on, it may be necessary to schedule an appointment with the Mercedes-Benz London Service Centre. We are happy to all Mercedes-Benz owners with their service needs including Service A and Service B!